Tasty Sri Lankan Pumpkin Curry
Part 1 - Pumpkin Curry Spice Mixture
- 1/4 teaspoon of Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Rice
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon of Oil
Place a small pan on a low heat with oil. When warm add mustard seeds and wait til they begin to pop. Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and cook for about two minutes until the seeds have begun to brown. Remove from heat and grind in a spice blender or pestle and mortar.
Part 2 - Pumpkin Curry Coconut Mixture
- 2 tbsp of Fresh Grated Coconut
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Medium Onion Chopped Finely
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 30g Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp of Water
In a separate pan place fresh coconut in a heavy based pan and stir till brown.
Remove from heat and allow to cool. When cool blend all other ingredients in a food blender.
Part 3 - Make the Curry
- 450g Pumpkin pieces (Cleaned and Cut)
- Spice Mixture(above)
- Coconut Mixture(above)
- 1 cup of Hot Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Green Chilli (optional)
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 1 inch stripe Rampe
Place pumpkin, water, coconut mixture and spice mixture and into a pot (ideally made of clay) bring to the boil and reduce to simmer, cook for 15minutes. Remove rampe and serve.